Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Circus Protest

I heard someone say that the circus was in town, so I wandered over there after dinner. I thought I might be able to sketch some elephants. Oops! I'd forgotten Rule Number One of Sketching: "you never get what you expect." Instead of elephants, I found an animal rights protest.



The woman with the loudspeaker said the animals (including the elephants) are kept in this 18-wheeler, without room to lie down, at all times except when they are performing.



Parents and children were everywhere. I didn't see any ticket-holders turn away, but I did overhear some wonderful conversations between parents and children about what a protest is. Ethics and elephants aside, the whole thing made for a rich and interesting sketching experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment