Monday, June 22, 2009

In the Blink of an Eye



This morning I was sketching the Prince George Hotel when I heard a thump and smash. I looked up just in time to see an elderly gentleman fall into the road. His white cane flew onto the sidewalk in front of me. He'd been hit by a car!



By the time I reached him, he was already trying to stand up, but bystanders came running over and told him not to move. There was glass all over the road, and his arms were cut, but--amazingly--it didn't seem as if any bones were broken. The car window was smashed and the driver was very shaken up. He was made to sit down on the bench where I'd been sketching.



I wasn't much help to the police, because I hadn't seen the accident happen. At the time, I was staring at my sketchbook.



When the accident happened, I was inking the top left-hand window. You can see where I only finished two of the four lines around the lower pane. Afterward, I was cold-blooded enough to take a few photos, but not to continue sketching. Besides, my hands were shaking! I'll go back another day to finish this picture. Click here to read a news item about the accident.

No comments:

Post a Comment