Thursday, July 5, 2012

Flight of the Royal George




I'd been looking forward to this War of 1812 re-enactment for weeks, but when the first tall ship appeared I started madly taking photos, accidentally left the "video" button on, and ran out of space on the memory card.

I know there's a way to fix that by pressing some mysterious combination of buttons on the camera, but have YOU ever fiddled with technology while cannons are going off and people are yelling "Ooo!" all around you?

It took me a minute to realize that I had the next best thing in my bag. I grabbed my sketchbook and started scribbling.

It was a great event. Here's the best photo that I did manage to get. I'll spare you the jumpy, washed-out, useless two minutes of video!

Learn more about the Flight of the Royal George here.  (Typing that sentence made me feel as if I was at work, doing an entry for the library's War of 1812 blog!)